Translate

Friday, July 3, 2015

Home

Friend of the blog Patrick Sheridan asks, in response to the preceding post, "What about people far-sundered, like me? I have no means at all, just a Bible and my own conviction."

My answer is, you need a home; we all need a home.

Home. Yes, it’s critical to our psychic health and general well-being to have one of those. I’m certain young Ms. Makin is a dutiful and tolerant liberal not yet sufficiently seasoned to logically expand on her sentiment. Though one day, at least subconsciously, she will.

Home is not just geography. Home is a place of comfort, safety, and familiarity. Of mutual trust and understanding. Of common past and shared future. Home is where children play without fear in a parent’s eyes. Home is where speaking honestly offends no shrill aliens. Home is what is passed from your father to your son. And most importantly, home belongs uniquely to you.

There are great swaths of her country now no more Ms. Makin’s home than the violent North African city she longs to escape. And when those swaths broaden to encompass everything, where will her daughter seek sanctuary upon saying…

I want to go home.

?

And of all people, Christians are apparently the ones least likely to accommodate you on that point.

2 comments:

August said...

Ha. I can be in my house, dealing with some issue of domesticity which would, in a sane world, be dealt with by somebody else, and end up saying 'I want to go home.' I do not mean my parents house- that didn't feel like much of a home either, though it was all I knew for a while. I know I mean something that has not come into being yet. Living alone in America, and having some basic understanding of what is necessary for a decent human life- even if you just figure out food and what is good and what isn't- well, it is too much for one person to do.

V. said...

Home? True. I suppose the real kicker is that, to varying degrees, the Western Church has made it almost impossible to call Western Christianity "home."