Translate

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Updates

1. I read LewRockwell.com so you don't have to. I had previously banished LewRockwell.com from this page. Old habits die hard, as I have been reading Lew since the early 1990's. Here's Butler Shaffer, channeling Whittaker Chambers:
I have just learned of the death of George Anastaplo, a 1951 graduate of the University of Chicago Law School. He was 88 years old when he died. George was best known for his refusal to answer, to the Illinois state bar examiners, whether he was a member of the Communist Party. Anyone who knew the man was aware that he was about as far removed from being a communist as one could be. His objection to answering this question was a principled one: the government had no business inquiring into the beliefs of anyone. (Bear in mind, this occurred during the peak years of McCarthyism.) George took his case to the U.S. Supreme Court (In re Anastaplo) where he lost...I met George while I was still in law school at the U. of Chicago. He and I were friends of the greatest professor of anything under whom I had studied, a master of the Socratic method of learning, Malcolm Sharp. George once told me that, being unable to get licensed to practice law in Illinois, he took a job driving a taxi-cab...
The Illinois State Bar is a government guild. (As are taxi-cabs.) If that guild qualified its membership on the absence of hostile, alien, anti-free market ideology, I'm glad somebody did. It's certainly not the case any more. Shaffer neglects to mention that McCarthy was right. Anyway, LewRockwell.com's disengagement from relevancy continues.

2. Matthew Heimbach. Apparently the best argument anybody can come up with is that he's been excommunicated for violating the American secular canon. More "debate" at the Ochlophobist.

3. I haven't posted in a bit because frankly I'm repeating myself: multiculturalism is a slow-motion train wreck; female empowerment will literally make us extinct; we can't print money and buy our own debt with it. One newer theme is my view that Christian evangelism needs serious re-thinking. And along those lines, Antioch seems to be hunkering down.

No comments: