Translate

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Well that didn't take long

I thought we were actually going to debate before deciding whether to blow up Syria.

Obama gets top Republican support on Syria strike.

It seems the only thing left to decide is not 'whether' but 'how.'

Dennis Mangan has started a thread on, "Why war?" This really could spark a regional even hemispheric conflict, though I doubt things get that out of hand (I hope and pray).

Why are bankrupt Western nations rushing headlong into a Muslim family feud? My unschooled opinion is first, as Dennis mentions, because they can. The US governing elite are bored, hubristic ideologues. Second, Israel wants the region outside its borders transformed into backwards, feuding hellholes. Their greatest existential threat is to be surrounded by technologically advancing Arab polities. Third, Mohammedan conquest, as Gulf Arabs work to smash the hated Shia and their Iranian allies. (Can anyone educate me on the roots of the Persian-Arab conflict?)

None of which, obviously, implicates any actual American interest. Of course, I'm presuming an actual American nation with its own interests. Here's how one purportedly American legislator justifies this commitment of US blood and treasure:
For me as a mother, to see that searing image of babies lined up, murdered by their own government, innocent children,” she continued. “I mean, as a Jew, Wolf, I have to tell you, as a member of Congress who represents one of the largest Holocaust survivor populations in the country, to me, the concept of never again, has to mean something. And the United States, morally, cannot turn the other cheek. Too many leaders of ours have regretted that decision.

As an American and a father, I think the Jews and the Sunni Arabs can bloody well fight this one themselves.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You expected the Republicans to put the brakes on a war? Even partisan hatred isn't enough to overcome the bloodthirst.

The Anti-Gnostic said...

What partisan hatred?

SFG said...

Eh, it's mostly AIPAC.

Any advice on how a half-Jew disgusted at his relatives can renounce his people? This Syria thing really has me peeved, not to mention the disgusting neocon manipulations of the Iraq War and the immigration cheerleading. I mean, is there a ceremony involving a ritual bath in bacon fat and the Horst Wessel Lied?

The Anti-Gnostic said...

I know that feel. If I travel overseas I might try to pass as a Canadian.

Ingemar said...

Roots of the Persian-Arab conflict?

Just from chatting with other Iranians, I get the feeling that Persians have always resented the Arabs for the conquest and rapine of their lands. The Persians have a long and sophisticated high Indo-European culture whilst the Arabs are just violent camel jockeys.

In a sense, for the same reasons that the Greeks hate the Arabs, except the Persians (mostly) adopted Islam.